The memo of 10.000 words by Hiroshi Matsuyama - Behind the Scene and creation of .hack (.hack//ARCHIVE 03 IMOQ TRANSLATION)

The Memo of 10.000 words by Hiroshi Matsuyama

Please read this before you start reading: This is a medium-translation level, which is not a much higher standard level than how it was translated, especially how this translation uses translators and adds a few edits to match English viewers' understanding, but hoping this would help viewers to understand what contents and information based on it mean. If any translator is willing to help me with corrections I would be glad and appreciate their contribution and their help.

Disclaimer: The following article is a non-profit fan translation, all .hack title series are owned by CyberConnect 2 and Bandai Namco Entertainment, please buy .hack//ARCHIVE 03 (.hack//) Official Complete Documentation Setting and support the official release. You can buy it on Amazon or any online store.

"In commemorates for 20th Anniversary of .hack series on June 20, 2022"

"This 10.000 Memo by Hiroshi Matsuyama contains behind scene development and creation of what we know and what we love as .hack//Series with the first release of .hack//Infection in Japan on PlayStation 2 on June 20, 2002"

"Hope you guys take a look at the history of .hack and appreciate his journey along with his team to create the best game that we know and we all love".

Source: Google


It was 1999.


We had just finished developing "Silent Bomber" for the PlayStation® and were looking for the right time to start working on our next project. 


In the game industry, rumors of a "next-generation game console, PlayStation 2" have finally begun to circulate, and preparations are underway for the development of a "high-end machine" that is about to begin. We were in the same stage. 


We wanted to develop game software for PlayStation 2, which was scheduled to be released the following spring. I was thinking of doing something like that.


-----

But before that.


I had a certain thought in my mind at the same time, or rather, it was a prerequisite. That is, looking back on our development to date. Cyber Connect Inc. was established in 1996 with only 10 employees, but by this point, the number of employees had increased to 19. That's almost double the number of employees. Nearly four years after its establishment, the company developed two games for PlayStation®.


The tail of Concerto and Silent Bomber


"Tail Concerto" and "Silent Bomber".


I was a graphic designer at that time, creating 3D background graphics as an artist. 


Tail Concerto, which was created by a group of people who put their hearts and souls into the production, has sold 97,000 units in Japan. It was not profitable but not a "big hit" either. 


After much reflection, the Silent Bomber, which was produced with even more passion, has sold (approximately) 40,000 units, which is even less than the previous record.


Certainly, numbers are not everything. We want to produce good works. That is the most important thing. That is certainly true, but it is also true that we have to make an effort to make sure that the good works we produce are enjoyed by as many people as possible. But did we really make enough effort to make more people enjoy the good works we produced? 


We will do our utmost to do what we can, to the best of our ability. 


That is not wrong.


It's not wrong, but I don't think it's right either. 



I felt that "something" was missing. 


"What is it? What's missing?" 


As a creator, I asked myself such questions every day. 


But still, time moves on.


Fortunately, the producer of the Bandai game division (now Bandai Namco Games) at the time had high expectations for CyberConnect and asked us to develop the game for PlayStation 2. 


Fuyuki Nishizawa, the producer.


He has worked with us as our producer since "Silent Bomber". He is older than me, knows a lot of things, and is very sincere with us. 


Despite the (sales) slump of the Silent Bomber, he still has high expectations for us. 


I want to live up to his expectations.


And the next time around, we want to produce what we call a "big hit!" (title). I want to produce results. 


While we are still holding on to the feeling of uncertainty, the development equipment has arrived and we have started the research and development for PlayStation 2.


-----

At that time, PlayStation®2 was a very high-spec machine. It will be able to do many things that were not possible before. That alone was enough to make developers excited.


The planning process is also very exciting. Just by being able to "do" something that was previously "impossible," so many ideas are generated.


First .hack prototype: Great Thief Forteprotze
Source: .hack//Archive 03 (Please buy and support the official release)

The first project to emerge from this process was the "Great Thief Forteprotze”.


It is a "Thief Action role-playing game" exclusively for the PlayStation 2.


The image is rather cheerful and comical. In this huge city, people are controlled by AI and live their own lives with their own habits and customs. The main character, Forte, does the right thing by committing the amoral act of thievery. That's what this game software is all about.


During the approximately six-month R&D (Research and Development) period, we had to decide on a plan and prepare for full development at the same time, so the decision on the plan was urgent. In the first two months or so, we finalize the plan and present it to the vendor.


Source: Google


However, the response was not good.


To put it plainly, the game doesn't seem to be a "big hit!". The worldview is weak, there is not enough charm, and the town lacks a sense of life and power to draw you in. Indeed, you are right.


Unlike the PlayStation, the development of the PlayStation 2 (game) will take more time and money. Naturally, it is not an easy decision to make. It's no wonder.


Thus, the project had to be redone.


-----

Build an attractive worldview.


It is difficult to convey the appeal of the town where the film takes place and the people who live there in a "heartwarming fantasy-style". To create a unique and fascinating "world" with a more original view of the world.


Second .hack prototype: Moon Crow
Source: dothackwikia - Prototype of .hack

With this mission in mind, a new project, "Moon Crow" was born.


We have lost another two months, but there is nothing we can do. We still have two months left. If we can decide on a project here, we will have enough time to prepare specifications for full development.


However, the response was not good.


It is certainly original, but will it be one that customers will pick up? No matter how original the world you create, it is an event in a different world that the players cannot relate to. There is no relationship = there is no necessity to pick it up. Is it really interesting to play thieves in a boxed world?


Denial begins at the primal level of planning. This is a completely bad spiral.


Moreover, there were more producers from the Bandai side in this presentation than in the previous "Great Thief Forteprotze". Among them, only one man was wearing a cap and G-pants (even though it was a conference room). What he said to me really hit me hard.


"This (project) has nothing to do with me. I'm not interested in this world, and I don't want to do it."


It's not easy to say all this without taking off your hat.


There are few people. But his words still echoed in my mind. 


"You're right."


I'm sure you're thinking, "Why start now?" or "No, it's not attractive enough". Or, "No, I have been fixing the worldview because it was pointed out to me that it was not appealing enough?" There are many things to think about, but that's not the point. Yes, that is not the problem.


The "first thing" is important.


On the flight back to Hakata from Tokyo, instead of choosing the right words to say to all the staff, "Sorry, that didn't work out," I was thinking about all the things I was beginning to see.


-----

Time was completely gone.


We have only two months left. In the next two months, we need to finalize the project, sign the contract, and start the development.


Fortunately, the R&D itself proceeded smoothly, and polygon rendering in real-time on the PlayStation 2 was possible, and the prototype model of "Moon Crow" was displayed. Although "Moon Crow" itself was a rejected project, it was only an actual rendering test, so the model itself could be anything. In other words, since the project itself has not been finalized, there is no official model for the main character.


Days of internal idea meetings ensued.


A point that Bandai made in the last presentation. The basic premise. In fact, the answer was becoming clear.


"There is no relation."


This one word has been echoing in my mind forever.


What is irrelevant is irrelevant. Inevitability does not arise.

To create the inevitable, we need to create "relevant" work. To do this, we need to look at ------ for the "customer".


It is a matter of course.


It has been four years since the company was established. I have always felt that something was missing in my work. The moment when I could see and what I could not see.


"Yes, that's right."


“It is not enough to just try our best to create something interesting.”


Unless something is necessary for the customer in "the first place", it is not inevitable.


It is the customer and the world that should be seen.


It wasn't long before I realized that it was a matter of course.


Source: Google

At the time, "online gaming" was all the rage. PC games were still the mainstream, but with the PlayStation 2 and Dreamcast, Internet connectivity became available. The wave is finally coming to the home. We are entering an era where everyone is enjoying online games for home use!


"Really?"


The first thing I thought about was the question. Indeed, online games are interesting. Because you are the player, your adventures in the world are your real-life experiences, and the people you meet are also living players. In other words, another life experience. It's definitely interesting. Drama without a plot is a special experience. It is irreplaceable.


"That's one thing for sure, but will it really catch on in the home?"


Teenage players have their own TV in their room, connected to a game console, connected to the Internet, and pay monthly bills. Credit cards are used to pay the monthly bill.


Impossible. It's impossible. There is no such child.


If so, an RPG based on an online game. Offline, you can enjoy the fun of an online game and create drama with a "plot". The anonymity of the internet is a great source of drama.


This way, players who are interested in online games but don't have the environment will be able to pick up the game, and players who have played online games will be able to relate to it. And players who have played online games will be able to relate to them.


"The inevitable was born."


Approval was obtained just in time, and the project was officially launched.


Third .hack Prototype: Treasurer Hacker
Source: 
.hack//Archive 03 (Please buy and support the official release)


The project is called "Treasure Hacker".


It happened at the end of 1999.


------

Finally, the project started.


But things happen.


Shin Unozawa

One day, I was called by Bandai. The head of the video game division at the time was replaced. The newly-appointed head of the business unit was Mr. Shin Unozawa. He originally worked as an animation producer at Bandai Visual. The person called me.


"New appointment?"


I thought it would be a good idea, and when I went to Bandai, he made a shocking proposal.


*I'm not sure what to say about this project, though. Treasure Hacker. It's not about what the content is. Let's not do that.


My mind goes blank. We have a contract. Stop? Now? What should we do? When I confronted him with all the questions, he gave me a simple answer.


"You know what? In the eyes of the public, Bandai is a "shitty game maker”. A company that can't even make a decent game based on a copyrighted character that is entrusted to them is not going to be able to sell an original title. Now is the time to build trust. That's why we destroyed all original projects and titles except for your project. I think CyberConnect is excellent in terms of technology and planning, but as a result, they are not selling well. I think you should have a successful sales experience once. So, for now, let's drop this "Treasure Hacker" game and start over with a game character.  There is a popular manga that will be animated next year. ・・・・・・ "


The second half was almost too much for me. We were just starting to see the light and the entire staff was working together to get this project off the ground.


Naturally, I could not respond on the spot. I decided to return to the company and consult with all staff members before responding. 


Naturally, the staff was in an uproar. I feel the same. Proposal by Masaka. I had no idea that the project would cease to exist.


We also had serious discussions with Niizato (Hiroto Niizato), who was in charge of planning.


We had a long conversation with all the staff.


Then I went back to visit the van and answered Mr. Unozawa's question.


Determination
Source: Google

With some "determination”.


"What you say may be true. But let me be stubborn here. Let us create this original "Treasure Hacker" project. It is certainly possible to create game software based on the "popular character game" you suggested, and it might even become a big hit. But I'd like to decline that request. Even if we were to have a big hit, it would not necessarily be a "good result" for us. I don't know if it's the characters or the game software. We don't need a "mystery win" right now. I want you to make me a "Treasure Hacker". We are committed to this project. If this does not work, you can have our head cut off. We will make this project a success. We will develop it into an IP that can be developed as a Bandai original project for the next 10 years! "


We will confront them squarely with our feelings and resolve. I decided to do so and talked to Mr. Unozawa about it thoroughly. Past thoughts and future prospects. "You've got to be kidding me. Did you not listen to me?" I was prepared to be yelled at.


However, Ms. Unozawa's response was 

"Okay, I get it. Do it. Then make it a success for sure. Do whatever it takes to make it succeed." 


I was prepared to be yelled at, but I had no idea what the reaction would be. Looking back on it now, I can understand why Mr. Unozawa was so “passionate” in some ways. He knew better than anyone else that "passion moves people and creates works of art."


Thus, the "Treasure Hacker'' was relaunched with a new look (and out of danger of extinction).


Then, a short time later, the "next incident" occurred.


The producer has changed.


Fuyuki Nishizawa has been transferred into a new position in sales. We have worked together for many years since Silent Bomber, and we also worked together on the Treasure Hacker project.


We also felt that we wanted to return the favor to Nishizawa.


Looking back on it now, we may have been children ourselves. We even suggested that the transfer be postponed at least until the project was completed. Naturally, we rejected the proposal.


The company's resignation could not be overturned on such a basis.


Moreover, when I listened carefully, I found out that Nishizawa's resignation had already been announced a long time ago, and he had already been assigned to a sales position.


Mr. Nishizawa himself made a call to the company and said, "I would like to continue to work at CyberConnect until the project is on track.” They were working twice as hard without telling us. Knowing that I have nothing more to say. His feelings should be taken into consideration. He did what he had to do. From this point forward, we have to be firm, and we have to be new. We should work together with the producers to make this happen.


Yes, you have to switch your mind.


The day to introduce the new producers is finally here.


Tokyo Game Show 
Source: Google

The timing and schedule did not work out. As a result, we introduced the backstage at the Tokyo Game Show.


Because of the event, the new producer was still in character costume play.


The outfit suited her well. She was young, with a small face and a neat appearance. I had the impression that she was a modern young person.


"Ah ."


I remembered.


He was the one in the cap who had said during a previous presentation that there was no relationship between the two companies.


His name is Daisuke Uchiyama.


------
Daisuke Uchiyama
Producer of .hack series on Bandai Namco

Daisuke Uchiyama was two years younger than me.


Surprisingly, he was not that young. I had the impression that he was younger, but he was relatively close in age.


I had always worked with producers who were older than me. This will be my first time working with a producer younger than me, but I don't think it will be that much of a problem. I am sure we will work well together.


I have to work hard for Nishizawa's sake.


I kept this thought in my heart as I started working with a new producer. 


However, when we actually started work, we found ourselves in a different world. No, it's not so much that they are different, it's that I'm astonished at what I see.


First of all, Daisuke Uchiyama's choice of words is absurd. To put it simply, he seems like he doesn't know how to talk.


"This is super boring. I don't get it. Why don't you just die?"


This is the first time I've been told by someone at a meeting that I should die. I'm still wearing a cap.


It was also at this time that I was discussing with Kazunori Ito, the scriptwriter, about the OVA and the game script to be included in the package, so Niizato and I visited Bandai twice a month to attend the scenario meetings.


It didn't take long before “I was fighting with a younger producer who didn't know how to talk to me.”


I used to wear a suit and tie when I traveled to Tokyo for meetings, but that stopped at some point. Every time, I wear plain clothes.


We started going to meetings. I am now able to express what I am thinking and want to say to each other in an easy-to-understand language without holding back in meetings. The words have more power, which makes it easier to convey what we are saying.


"Ah, so this is how you do business."


At the time, I felt that was the case. Perhaps Daisuke Uchiyama's outspoken words and attitude were techniques to extract his true feelings and true nature from his partner? That’s what I thought. (Looking back now, I realize that this is not true at all and that Daisuke Uchiyama was simply a rude person who didn't know how to talk.)


He really tended to start with "denial”.


"Are you sure?"


"Is that really true? "


These are the kinds of comments that are often made.


Do not get carried away. What was decided at the previous meeting is easily overturned at the next meeting? We had to come up with ideas one after the other, and we often wasted two weeks writing specifications based on what had been decided.


But this is very important.


People feel bad when they are denied by a third party. Of course, everyone does. But that's what happens when you're in the middle of development. I'm glad I did it now. There is nothing we can do if we are denied after the product is completed and released. I know what I'm going through. While we are building, we are generating, discussing, and preparing for a lot of negatives. In this way, the work becomes more polished. It becomes sharper.


Therefore, we should not be afraid of getting hurt.


Daisuke Uchiyama was not familiar with many of the world's most famous hit movies. He did not seem to have any interest in them. He had not touched the latest game software at all, and we often had to start from scratch to explain to him what was interesting. He was not interested in animation either. They do not read much manga either.


From our point of view, he is the complete opposite type of person.


"How can you produce something without knowing what it is?"


To tell the truth, at the time, I had such thoughts about him, but I have changed my mind.


"No, that's fine."


A producer doesn't need to know a lot of games, animations, or systems. That is the role of the creator, not the producer. The producer's role is to "deliver the product to the world," to guide the work and make it permeate the world. In other words, to sell. To sell as many games as possible. 


It's not about making products. Our role is to create interesting products that are easy to sell well.


By this time, the division of roles had been clarified, and the definition of what work should be had begun to become clear within our company.


------

And so, when a new relationship and new manufacturing began to take off.


At the end of 2000.


A new incident occurs.

The person who had served as president since the company's founding left the company.


In the eyes of the general public, it would have been impossible for the president to leave. But, in fact, it did happen.


On one occasion, the president left the company.


Now we can talk about it, but at the time it was a terrible incident.


At this time, "CyberConnect. Inc" ceased to exist.


------

18 employees and 7 part-timers remain.


Of course, we had not yet been able to report to our client, Bandai, because we had not yet decided "what to do." Reporting something that had not been decided would not help.


I'm talking about Daisuke Uchiyama.


"So? What are you going to do?"


I ask, "What do you mean?". We can have the "answer" before we can begin.


However, I already had my "answer" at this moment.


Over these past five years. I have learned a lot and seen a lot of companies. I learned a lot of game development know-how from the members who were there at the time, and I also learned a little more about the game industry.


I also learned a lot from the development of Tail Concerto and Silent Bomber.


And, “We can't win if we don't do what we've always done” I understand that.


In fact, now that the company is gone, there are two ways to go. There are two options. One is to dissolve the company as it is.


The members of that time, including the founding members, were all excellent developers. They may be able to find new jobs in different companies, and I am sure that they will be very successful there as well.


But. I don't want to end this project. Above all, I don't want to quit this project that I am working on now. I want to make it.


I want to create it. I want to complete it and put it out into the world. I want to make it happen.


If so, the only way to get it is the other way.


I made a proposal to all the remaining members at the time.


"Will you let me be the president? I also want you to buy out all the capital (which was offered by 10 people at the time). I want you to make it a one-man company and give me full authority. I will take full responsibility. And I will make it a company that will definitely succeed. I will change all the rules and methods. I want you to follow me."


Everyone took it very seriously.


And they all agreed to stay and follow us.


Then.


Many rules were created.


  • All-nighters prohibited

  • Arrives at the office at 9:00 a.m. (Late arrival is strictly prohibited.)

  • Three-person team system (tri-factor structure)

  • Competition for Ideas

  • Internship Programs

  • Company tour


Every aspect of the event, from greetings to manners and rules, was implemented.


The company name was also changed.


I don't want to pretend that everything we have done as CyberConnect has never happened. 


CyberConnect 2 was formed after CyberConnect.


With this in mind, we decided to name our company "CyberConnect2”


Well, everyone hated it (laughs).

For example, "It is difficult to get a receipt," or "There is no point in changing".

But I don't hear about it anymore. The registration has been changed.

We are already a one-man operation from this point on. Decisions must be made quickly.

Make the company light on its feet.

To be a company that can compete with speed.

And.


After all, was said and done, I went to Bandai to report the results.


To Mr. Unozawa and Mr. Uchiyama.


"Well, it took a long time for the procedures to be completed, so I'm sorry for the late report. ・・・・・・".


I had expected them to be surprised, but neither of them seemed too surprised.


Just.


"You changed the company name? We have to change the contract! What a hassle!"


Is that it? Well, of course, it was Daisuke Uchiyama's line. Mr. Unozawa even said, "Well, I thought I would do it someday," which is not a good thing to hear from someone. Well, what you're going to do won't change, so just hang in there. You should definitely succeed. You'll make it.


Absolutely.


That's the plan.


The product name "Treasure Hacker" was changed at about the same time.  Well, it all started when Daisuke Uchiyama said, "I don't want to be a "treasure hacker" because it's lame!" That's how it all started (laughs).


We had a lot of discussions.


A new product name has been determined.


.hack series title logo

This is how the ".hack" project was born.


--------

This book is the complete setting materials for the PlayStation 2 game ".hack//" series (4 volumes).


I have thought a lot about the production of this book and the writing of this memoir. I decided that this memoir would be about something I have never talked about anywhere before.


So, even after the above memoir, time passed, and I talked with Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (the illustrator), about the TV anime ".hack//SIGN", and the manga ".hack//Legend of the Twilight", Novels, and radio stories. And then the story of how we are going to master up and release all 4 volumes of the game software in 3 months.


If you have purchased this book, you should already know the contents. There is no point in discussing here what was published in interviews in magazines and related books at the time.


So, I thought I'd try to delve deeper into my thoughts and feelings, and this is what I came up with.


Naturally, I would like to talk about my thoughts on the development staff, and also about my conversations with Niizato.


Well, since we're here, let's talk about birth in the true sense of the word. So, since we're here, I thought I'd talk about birth in the truest sense of the word.


Lastly,


As a side note, in preparation for the June 2002 release of the ".hack//" series, a project announcement was held at a certain location in Tokyo in January of the same year.


Mr. Unozawa, Mr. Uchiyama, Mr. Ito, and I all took the stage to present our projects. Everyone took the stage to present their projects in turn, and it was a good opportunity for us to share our thoughts and ideas.


In the dressing room of the presentation.


"We finally made it here."


I will never forget the smile on Nishizawa's face as he shook my hand.


The .hack project itself is coming to a close.


It all started on that day.


I love the project, I love the work, and I love the people.


And one


To those of you who have picked up this book.


It is because of you that we were able to create this work.


Thank you so much.


I hope that in the future. May the stars shine brightly above your head!


"Don't worry. The world is full of love.”



CyberConnect2, Inc.

President and Representative Director

Hiroshi Matsuyama

--------------------------------------------------------------------------


Message

To Hiroshi Matsuyama, the president of CyberConnect 2 along with his team developers.

From me and all fans around the world who love the .hack series

We would like to thank you for Hiroshi Matsuyama and his team from CyberConnect2

For the hard work, passion and dedicate their lives to make this possible

We cannot express how much gratitude we have for you

But we would always continue to support Hiroshi and CyberConnect2 for what comes in store for us

Once again, in my greatest and deepest gratitude, thank you for bringing the .hack series to live

Hope you guys had a pleasant day.


Editor Note:

When I translated this memo from Hiroshi Matsuyama on .hack//Archive 03, it truly surprise me and I was moved by how much struggle, decision, and determination he made to keep their working project alive and how brave his decision to take over the company as a president, forming CyberConnect2.

It gives me a lot of respect I had for him and brings me to realize it takes a lot of processes, a lot of trial and errors, and a decision to keep working on those project. I sincerely don't how much gratitude I could give him, but all I want to say to him and all staff from CyberConnect 2 and Bandai Namco is.

Thank you so much for bringing this series to our childhood, your passion, dedication, and hard work will always inspire those who want to create their own work.

I'll look forward to what this series future has in store, and waiting for your next work.

Once again, thank you!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History of .hack//Franchise and why it deserves for the Second Chance.

.hack//Link: BACKLOT [.hack//Archive 04 TRANSLATION]

My wishlist for the remake version of .hack//Link and what it needs to change.